Sunday, January 23, 2011

Sundays in My City - Tidbits - January 23, 2011

Yesterday was quite busy for me, starting with a visit to Dr. Quoch, the most wonderful
dentist in the world.  I am forever grateful to my friend, Elaine, for referring me to Dental
Health of San Francisco because, until I went there, I dreaded dental visits.  I actually
was very remiss in appointments and, sometimes, I'd wait two years between visits. 
Dr. Quoch, however, and his wife, Dr. Chen, and their superb office staff made me a
believer in routin dental visits, at the age of 62!  Well, better late than never, right?

I love their office location, on Noriega, in the Sunset.  There must be a hundred Chinese
restaurants on that one street and, every time I'm there, I try a different one.  I don't
know how they manage to stay in business but each one seems to be packed.  I had
a bowl of won ton soup yesterday though folks were lined up two deep at the
restaurant's counter buying food to take out.


Just one of many Chinese restaurants on Noriega Street


A tray of duck's heads - folks were buying these by the dozen!


While I was eating my won ton soup, a worker struggled past, carrying this roast
pig!  The skin was one of the hot sellers while I was there!


Last night, I went to Manivanh Thai Restaurant in San Francisco.  This fabulous place I've
blogged about before.  It's owned by a Lao family who have become like my own  family.
I went to have dinner with Gigie Marie, a beautiful girl who was part owner of the former
Monkey Club, the great place where my retirement party was held.  Sadly, she and her
partner, Daven, decided to retire from the business, after thirteen years of memorable
evenings for the San Francisco General crowd and other lucky patrons.  It was so great
to see her again.  I just wish Daven could have joined us. 

One of the Douangpanya grandsons, Michak, sat with us at dinner, feeding me peas and
fueling my desire to have a grandchild some day.  I've got three sons who should be able
to make this a reality!!

Michak with Bau, his aunt's partner


Sweet Michak who shared his green peas with me


A little shy, at first - but not for long!

Gigie Marie and Carmen

Bau, Michak, Gigie Marie and Carmen

Usually, the restaurat is pretty quiet on Saturday night - their main business comes from
the San Francisco General lunch crowd.  It was packed last night, however.  The family
said that I drew folks in to eat.  Whatever the reason, I'm always glad when they have
a lot of customers.  The food is incredible and my Lao family are the kindest,  most
generous folks in the world!

I am participating in Unknown Mami's Sundays in My City - check it out and join in the fun!




12 comments:

  1. What an adorable little boy!
    It sure seems you're back to normal after that big scare you had, Carmen. I'm glad.
    -- K

    Kay, Alberta, Canada
    An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carmen, San Francisco Chinese food is the best! Michak is adorable and has such a sweet face.
    Happy SIMC, jj

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are loved wherever you land.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I share your former fear of the dentist! I'll pass on the duck heads but they are all great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't do oriental food, but the boy is cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I might have to check out your dentist.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's only something like 3 thousand miles I think....maybe more....but I want to go there to eat. That's reasonable right?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Roasted pig sounds divine!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kay L.Davies -
    He is a cutie, isn't he? His mom is Lao and his dad is from St. Lucia. Michak now has a little brother who is only a few months old.


    Joanna Jenkins -
    I do love living in ths city because of all the great Asian food. I think my favorite is Korean, then Thai, then Japanese...oh, I love Indian, too. Come to think of it, I love it all!


    rosaria -
    That's a very sweet thing to say! I am blesse to have made friends around the world - there are such great folks everywhere I go.


    Welshcakes Limoncello -
    I've tried the duck heads...not too much to eat there. One thing I tried that I did not like were fetal eggs - they had wee little chickens
    inside and, just the name, turned me off!


    Sharkbytes -
    I like all kinds of Oriental food and San Francisco is the place to get it!


    Unknown Mami -
    You should check out the Dental Health of San Francisco web site and the Yelp Reviews for them. I cannot recommend them enough.


    Rebecca -
    Let me know when you get out this way and I'll take you to my favorite spots to eat!


    qandlequeen -
    It is wonderful...especialy in Hawaii, fresh out
    of the imu ( or oven in the earth )!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's always a good idea to keep on top of dental visits. Our teeth work best if you keep them! :)

    I've always been fascinated with hanging piggies, but I don't think I've ever seen one in person.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kristin - The Goat -
    I wish I'd discovered Dr. Quoch many years ago. He is so good! I've referred everyone I know to his practice.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The pig looks delicious, and you have great friends, Carmen!

    ReplyDelete