Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Brunch at the Absinthe House, San Francisco - Ruby Tuesday, July 27, 2010


Brunch at the Absinthe House, San Francisco - Ruby Tuesday, July 27, 2010

This is my first time to participate in Mary T's Ruby Tuesday.  

Recently, my youngest son, Jeremy, and his lovely girlfriend, Katie, went up to the
Russian River for a memorial service for Katie's grandfather. They picked up Katie's
mom and brother at SFO, in my van, on a Friday night, and headed north for the
weekend's events. I was only too glad to let them have my van and it proved quite
handy for the large number of people who joined in the special family activities that
weekend.

To thank me, Katie's mom said they should take me out to eat ( would I ever turn
down an offer like that? ). I suggested we go to the Absinthe House in San Francisco
for Sunday brunch, a place I'd been to once before. I thought Katie might enjoy it and
maybe she could take her parents if they are in town sometime.

The Absinthe House, opened in 1998, on Hayes Street, at Gough, not far from City
Hall. It is styled after a French brasserie and serves lunch and dinner and weekend
brunch. Its bar is one of San Francisco's best and it serves some of the finest of the
old classic cocktails, along with exotic special creations.

Prices are a bit steep for someone on a budget - not a problem for me before my
job ended but it's a fun place for a splurge. I have only been there for Sunday brunch
and I haven't even looked at the menus for lunch and dinner. Reservations are a good
idea and parking in the area is always a problem!



The Absinthe House is on the corner of Gough and Hayes and traffic is quite
busy at 1PM on Sunday!




There is definitely lots of alcohol...but I wondered if the sunlight affects quality ( of course, San Francisco is often foggy - and, perhaps, there is very quick turnaround! )

This is a good Ruby Tuesday picture...pardon the glare from the sunlight!

The Absinthe House "Art of the Bar" Recipe Book
Pefect for Ruby Tuesday!

Doesn't this Bloody Mary look good?

It looks even better being held by this lovely lass, Katie!  She's not only pretty, she's
smart.  She just got her degree in industrial engineering from Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo.

Here's my son, Jeremy ( it's the weekend, he wouldn't shave - or take off his glasses ) with Katie.  Jeremy is my 25-year-old, 6'4" baby of the family!  He does not especially
love being part of my blogs but, at least, his hand is not in front of his face this time!

My Ruby Tuesday Sazerac Cocktail - the drink of my youth in New Orleans! 
Wonder how many of these I had as a student nurse?  This is a very potent concoction!


Cheers, everyone!

Scrumptious deviled eggs with smoked salmon and caviar.


My dish - duck confit hash, poached eggs, arugula, sourdough toast - all heavenly.

Katie's wild mushroom omelet, roast potatoes, sourdough toast.

Jeremy's superb fried green tomatoes, poached eggs, roast potatoes -
better than any I've had in the South!

We didn't order dessert though we did check out the menu.  If they had been serving pavlova as they did last time - or creme brulee, I might have been sorely tempted to find room somewhere in the far reaches of my tummy to fit it in, with a three way split.

Thanks so much, Joan, for the lovely treat.  You can borrow my van anytime at all!

22 comments:

  1. aahh the dishes look tasty.... :)

    it's always good to catch up with family and "to be" family ......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photos, the food all looks so yummy! Happy Ruby Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful choice of shots. First one is just amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good food, good drinks...
    AND beautiful dress too, I might add.

    My Tuesday Photo Do hope you can find time to visit with me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hitesh rawat -
    Everybody's food was delicious - we all tasted each others and we shared the deviled eggs.


    eileeninmd -
    Absinthe House has a great brunch menu. I'd like to try it for dinner sometime.

    At 65, I've done it! My poetry book - Life's Journey by Carmen Henesy - is out on Amazon!
    ( Poems about the things that have been important to me in my journey through life, some humorous, some sad, some that may have meaning to you as well )
    http://www.amazon.com/Lifes-Journey-1-Carmen-Henesy/dp/1451547366/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1274652997&sr=1-1


    Rajesh -
    I'm sure San Francisco looks very different from
    your part of India with its Victoria houses. We do have some decent India restaurants, though, and one southern Indian restaurant I've been wanting to try.


    HOOTIN' ANNI -
    Actually, that was one of my favorite floral blouses...it was finally warm enough out to wear it.

    At 65, I've done it! My poetry book - Life's Journey by Carmen Henesy - is out on Amazon!
    ( Poems about the things that have been important to me in my journey through life, some humorous, some sad, some that may have meaning to you as well )
    http://www.amazon.com/Lifes-Journey-1-Carmen-Henesy/dp/1451547366/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1274652997&sr=1-1

    ReplyDelete
  6. the bloody mary looks good! or is it some juice?

    ReplyDelete
  7. All the food looked great and yummy. It was great meeting the family and friends. I went to college in Monterey, we lived in Pacific Grove. Went to San Francisco a lot. Although we left back in the 80's, I think I would like that restaurant. My love for poached eggs are great.
    My Ruby Link for you

    ReplyDelete
  8. That place is really magic, it should be included in the travel and tourists magazine of your city. It gives spirit to have great talks.

    Regards

    Valery

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow... what a great food adventure. You ferret out the good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That food looks all just delicious! the eggs in particular made my mouth water... cheers, dear Carmen!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Brunch!!!!Be still my heart--nothing is better. Good excuse for booze in the morning. What a nice location and the food--yum.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh the foods look so scrumptious, Carmen. Now you had me run to the kitchen..Great shot!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't know if the light affect alcohol... but one thing i am sure... the light gave the photo a great composition and perspective. love that shot. and the food... don't make me start. LOL. am so hungry right now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, yummy! I'll have what you ordered, Carmen, with one of those fabulous looking Bloody Marys!

    ReplyDelete
  15. pics are good
    felt hungry
    great fun

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow this all look very delish. Thanks for sharing!

    Barnyard Express

    ReplyDelete
  17. a yummy way to express gratitude! beautiful images!

    re the restaurant on my post no worries. all welcome age no bar though it is frequented by the youth!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Delicious-looking food! :) And I'm sorry to hear about your son's girlfriend's father...

    Again, congratulations on the release of your book!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a lovely reddish day! My brother recently moved to SF-- can't wait to visit and eat my way around the city!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a fabulous brunch! The devil eggs made me want to reach into my computer monitor and grab one! San Fran has such wonderful restaurants ...just like NYC :)

    You have such handsome sons, Carmen, and you look wonderful in your photo!

    Perhaps we can meet here for brunch or lunch when I visit SF? I'll keep in touch!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Looks like you had a fabulous treat along with all the others in the family!

    ReplyDelete
  22. The deviled eggs sound great. But I'm skeptical that the fried green tomatoes could beat out my grandmothers!

    ReplyDelete