Thursday, February 03, 2011

Alphabe Thursday - "Q" is for Quake - February 3, 2011



I  live near San Francisco,
A lovely place that shakes,
Every single month, it seems,
We have our share of quakes.

We live on top of fault lines,
That lie beneath our state,
That causes some anxiety,
As though we're tempting fate!



Most times, they're little tremors,
We hardly feel at all,
But it gets terrifying,
When buildings start to fall.

California children learn,
The things that they should do,
With earthquake drills in school,
And parent follow through.




At least our building codes,
Have helped in saving lives,
The goal of fire and rescue,
Is that everyone survives.

We've seen such devastation,
In last year's massive quakes,
I'm thankful we've not suffered one,
But for them, my sad heart aches.



Carmen Henesy


Copyright (c) Carmen Henesy
February 3, 2011

I am participating in Jenny Matlock's Alphabe Thursday!
Check out the site and join in the fun!

15 comments:

  1. You have such a gift Carmen and I love your photographs. Did you ever think of taking it up professionally?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow do write great poems. Wonderful, though of course the subject matter is not.
    Maggy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't imagine living in a land of moving ground.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fortunately we only had once an earthquake here in Belgium, everybody had felt it except me, I was sleeping,lol !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow ! now that is a great poem that is worth publishing . Loved it !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Quakes are a threat here also....

    Great photos..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Somehow, I missed feeling the recent quakes. Most of the people I know did feel them, although we weren't terribly close to the epicenter.

    Nice poem!

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Carmen, I love your poem! We have quakes in Arizona, too, but we rarely feel them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is quite the personal poem. I am glade I don't have to worry about earthquakes here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've only ever once felt an earth tremour, and it was of the scale which I suspect you would perceive as 'nothing much', though I found it quite unnerving seeing the furniture shake!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Neat poem, Carmen. Presently, I'm living where there Calaveras and San Andreas fork off from each other. We had some rocking and rolling a few weeks ago.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great E word. Scared out of my mind the last two little ones we had. Did you feel it? Just never know.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We have lots of small quake in our area but I am not yet used to it...
    Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  14. being in earthquake is fearsome for most of us.

    best regards.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Carmen,
    I always enjoy the meter of your poetry. This was excellent! I experienced my first Earthquake ever in San Fran many years ago. It was fairly major and experience I will never forget.

    Thank you for linking your wonderful word crafting to Alphabe-Thursday's letter 'Q'.

    A+

    ReplyDelete