Sunday, December 13, 2009

A Challenge from steviewren of "a little birdie told me so"

steviewren of a little birdie told me so, one of my favorite blogs, issued a challenge to me this morning.  Here is the first part:  Seven Things You May Or May Not Know About Me  -

1,  I am a Southern belle.  I was born in Columbus, Georgia.  My father, from Waltham, MA, was an Army Lt. stationed at Ft. Benning and my mother, originally from Pelahatchie, MS, was attending nursing school there.  My mother divorced and remarried and has lived all her life in
Columbus.  I went to New Orleans for nursing school but have lived the last thirty years of my life
in the San Francisco area.

2.  I was the Southeast Women's Judo Champion when I was a senior in high school.  I took judo at the Army judo club at Ft. Benning where there were only about four women so we had to work out with the guys.  They didn't cut us any slack so we got to be pretty good!  If I can find any pictures from those days, I'll post them.  I was pretty fierce.

3.  I never wanted to be anything but a nurse.  My mother worked for a general practitioner in Columbus, GA who was a Marcus Welby type.  He would make home visits out in the country to poor patients, some fifty miles away.  When I was a child, I would go along as his "nurse."  When my mother was on vacation, as I grew older, I would work in his office.  The thrill of my life was when I was home from nursing school for the summer and he got permission for me to "scrub" with him in the O.R.

4.  I am terrified of heights.  I don't mind flying at all...I can be in airplanes but a ferris wheel freaks me out.  I even get the creeps going over some bridges and I don't like to be next to the rail.

5.  When I was in my early 30's in the San Francisco area, I did some catering.  My main problem is that I did it for practically nothing, mainly for friends and I never charged enough.  It was so labor intensive, I finally gave it up.  I once did a wedding cake for a nurse with whom I worked - I didn't even like her - and I finally figured out that this wasn't for me!  It was a beautiful
cake, though!

6.  I loved my profession as a forensic nurse.  In the 21 years I was in the field, in spite of constant problems with San Francisco city government, I felt the work was so important and the support of others in this fledgling field nurtured and sustained me.  To be an integral part of the founding of the International Association of Forensic Nurses in August of 1992 and to see this specialty officially recognized were the most exciting parts of my nursing life.

7.  Writing has always been a part of my life.  Long before blogging days, I've written poetry.  I think I penned my first poem when I was about six years old and, at sixty-five, I'm still going.  My dream has been to write a novel but, thus far, it is still a dream.  The poems that mean the most to me are "Travel Thoughts" and "The Forensic Nurse," both of which have appeared on this blog.  My article "East Meets West," about my trip to Japan and meeting up with forensic nurse
colleagues there appeared in our forenic nursing publication, "On the Edge." http://www.mddciafn.org/docs/OnTheEdgeVolume13Number3Fall2007.pdf

Here is the second challenge -


Answer these questions with one word only:

1. Where is your cell phone?… charging
2. Your hair?… graying

3. Your mother?… forgetful

4. Your father?… deceased

5. Your favorite food?… Asian

6. Your dream last night?… none

7. Your favorite drink?… wine

8. Your dream/goal?… wealth

9. What room are you in?… bedroom

10. Your hobby?… travel

11. Your fear?… infirm

12. Where do you want to be in 6 years?… traveling

13. Where were you last night?… restaurant

14. Something that you aren’t?… rich

15. Muffins?…
dozens
16. Wish list item?… jackpot
17. Where did you grow up?… Georgia

18. Last thing you did?… cook

19. What are you wearing?… sweats

20. Your TV?… off

21. Your Pets?… none

22. Friends?… many

23. Your life?… blessed

24. Your mood?… hopeful

25. Missing Someone?… lots

26. Vehicle?… van

27. Something you're not wearing?… ballgown

28. Your favorite store?… Dillards

29. Your favorite colour?… blue

30. When was the last time you laughed?… yesterday

31. Last time you cried?… yesterday

32. Your best friend?… several

33. One place that I go to over and over?… restaurants

34. Facebook?… often

35. Favorite place to eat?… restaurants

 Now, steviewren asked a few other bloggers, beside me, to participate in this challenge and I would like to request the same of some bloggers with whom I would like to become better acquainted.  If you have time during this busy season, please let us know about yourselves!!

Joanne Olivieri  at Poetic Shutterbug

If you four have already participated in this challenge, let me know so I can go back and read your blogs for this information!  For those of you who have not visited either of these four blogs - or a little birdie told me so, each is very special.  Be sure and check them out!  My day isn't complete without them.

12 comments:

  1. Oh, these are fun to read; but, not so much fun to write.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great answers Carmen. I think you are so lucky to have always known what you wanted to be. I never have. You were blessed to have had a job you loved.

    I said Mexican was my favorite food, but the truth is that there is something in every cuisine that I enjoy. I just like food.

    Yep, I'm a Alabama girl...I would never have thought you were from GA originally. We were practically next door neighbors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:07 PM

    great to get to know you better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Judo Champ! Wow, that's impressive.

    You did a great job on these memes. Thanks for sharing so much about yourself. It's nice to get to know you better.

    Happy holidays- I LOVE the tree photo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Judo! I got as far as yoga, anything more strenuous would have knocked me out, for good. Big son did the whole bit though and I used to watch but it made me feel a trifle tired.

    ReplyDelete
  6. lakeviewer - once I got going, there were many
    things I could have written!

    Joanna Jenkins - I loved judo! Even kept it up
    for awhile after I went away to nursing
    school but just didn't have time to
    continue! When my boys took it many years
    later, I was amazed that I remembered the
    names and techniques of the throws ( so were
    they!! )

    steviewren - yes, I was lucky to have a job I
    loved..just wish it hadn't ended.

    Kamana - I would like to get to know you better
    as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. since my umbai Daily blog is about my city and i post only photographs about mumbai i will take up your challenge in your comments space. hope you dont mind :)
    1)am 56yrs of age
    2)married with 2 wonderful kids (daughter 24,son 21)
    3)love to travel
    4)photography is a passion
    5)love to write and hence try to weave a magical thread through travel,writing and photography
    6)love to share whatever i learn through my experiences with all who wish to know
    7)love to imagine what john lennon sang in his song 'imagine'

    1. Where is your cell phone?… pocket
    2. Your hair?… graying
    3. Your mother?… wonderful
    4. Your father?… heavenly
    5. Your favorite food?… sandwiches
    6. Your dream last night?… none
    7. Your favorite drink?… vodka
    8. Your dream/goal?… nirvana
    9. What room are you in?… bedroom
    10. Your hobby?… travel
    11. Your fear?… dependence
    12. Where do you want to be in 6 years?… traveling
    13. Where were you last night?… home
    14. Something that you aren’t?… rich
    15. Muffins?…none
    16. Wish list item?… hasselblad
    17. Where did you grow up?… mumbai
    18. Last thing you did?… drove
    19. What are you wearing?… lungi
    20. Your TV?… off
    21. Your Pets?… bozo
    22. Friends?… dear
    23. Your life?… journey
    24. Your mood?… happy
    25. Missing Someone?… yes
    26. Vehicle?… car
    27. Something you're not wearing?… trousers
    28. Your favorite store?… music
    29. Your favorite colour?… blue
    30. When was the last time you laughed?… now
    31. Last time you cried?… november
    32. Your best friend?… ayub
    33. One place that I go to over and over?… streets
    34. Facebook?… sometimes
    35. Favorite place to eat?… home

    cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Carmen! Interesting things to learn about...

    Thanks for your comments at Blogtrotter, which is always one year late in posting ;) and headed now to London December 2008. Enjoy and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh How much we learn about the people who answer these questions... they are funny but revealing!!!
    Thanks for sharing, and for your comments in my blog
    HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous8:13 AM

    1. I am the third born into a family of 4 brothers and 4 sisters. I was born near the ocean in a small town hidden in little inlets, coves, hillsides, hide-away type places, on this lovely piece of the country of Canada, known as Newfoundland. The map itself is unique, and my little piece of heaven is is known as the "boot".

    2. My first time on a boat larger than a small fishing boat, on a train and a plane, all happened within a short span of two weeks when I was only seventeen, leaving my home for the first time

    3. My first paying job I was only 14 years old and I took care of two small children, I was paid the large sum of $2.00. I always wanted to be a nurse like Mum, but I have white coat syndrome. I worked for the government in the field of claims adjudicator. My last job I was bookkeeper and events decorator.

    4. I met my husband 2 weeks after arriving in this big city on a blind date. On New Years Eve we will celebrate our first date that took place 38 years go. We have been married almost 35.

    5. I have been blessed with two wonderful children ( adults now ) a son and daughter

    6. I am involved in the dance world and now continue to do so as my daughter is passing on her passion and love of dance through her students , as a Ballet teacher.

    7. I have a great closeness to my family one that blesses my life each and every day, I enjoy my family tree researching, blogging, friends.



    . Where is your cell phone?… dead
    2. Your hair?… blond
    3. Your mother?… beautiful
    4. Your father?… amazing
    5. Your favorite food?… Halibut
    6. Your dream last night?… none
    7. Your favorite drink?… coffee
    8. Your dream/goal?… Grandmother
    9. What room are you in?… computer
    10. Your hobby?… family
    11. Your fear?… death
    12. Where do you want to be in 6 years?… alive
    13. Where were you last night?… home
    14. Something that you aren’t?… rich
    15. Muffins?…blueberry
    16. Wish list item?… peace
    17. Where did you grow up?… Newfoundland
    18. Last thing you did?… breakfast
    19. What are you wearing?… PJ's
    20. Your TV?… off
    21. Your Pets?… none
    22. Friends?… many
    23. Your life?… blessed
    24. Your mood?… calm
    25. Missing Someone?… much
    26. Vehicle?… car
    27. Something you're not wearing?… undies
    28. Your favorite store?… Costco
    29. Your favorite colour?… black
    30. When was the last time you laughed?… today
    31. Last time you cried?… today
    32. Your best friend?… Sissy
    33. One place that I go to over and over?… sister
    34. Face book?… often
    35. Favorite place to eat?… mom's

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello. You have a lovely and interesting blog. Love your answers here.

    ReplyDelete