Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Ruby Tuesday - More Red from the Asian Art Museum, San Francisco, CA - April 26, 2011

I still have so many wonderful red photos from the Asian Art Museum in San
Francisco, I'll be showing them intermittently on Ruby Tuesday. 

This warrior, is from China, and dates back to the early 100s BCE.  It is made from
painted earthenware and is from the Western Han dynasty.  It was given to the museum
by Hok Pui Leung and Sally Yu Leung in memory of their fathers, On Leung and Dr.
Tin Wah Yu.





This is a court robe for a young emperor, from China, in the Quing dynasty
( 1644 - 1911 ),reign of the Guanpxu emperor, 1875 - 1906.  It is made of embroidered
silk.  According to the information card, court robes symbolize the cosmic order
 and, this robe, made for a young emperor, is a good example.  The wavy stripes at the
bottom of the road symbolize the sea.  Groups of prism-shaped rocks rise from the
water at the front, back and sides of the robe.  They represent the earth and the
four directions.  Above these peaks, nine dragons fly above colored clouds. The
dragon is the symbol of the masculine ( yang ) element and, hence, of the emperor.
The number nine was also reserved for him. 




This is Joanne Olivieri, aka Poetic Shutterbug, wearing her own "Ruby Tuesday" shirt.




This is a teapot with a dragon and phoenix.  I was unable to clearly photograph
any further identifying information.



This throne is from China, probably 1800 - 1880.  It is made from lacquered wood.

Thrones were among the most important pieces of furniture in the Imperial house-
hold in Beijing.  They were usually larger in scale and less restrained than regular
household furniture and were usually lacquered and decorated with auspicious
symbols.  Some were decorated with gold and yellow ( the Imperial color ) and,
often had dragons and flowers.

This throne is smaller and may have been used for someone other than the
emperor himself.


I am participating in Ruby Tuesday!  Check out the site for more
wonderful post and add one of your own!





16 comments:

  1. You got some great shots in there. That throne and teapot are gorgeous. That was the perfect spot for Ruby Tuesday :) Boy was I having a bad hair day :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Asian art is so beautiful and so exotic for us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to see more!!

    The cross

    ReplyDelete
  4. what an interesting post...i love it!


    http://www.imasworld.com/2011/04/rt-spring-is-here/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Carmen, haven't visited for a while but glad I did. We don't pay Chinese history enough attention... or their present.

    ReplyDelete
  6. though I love all the photos, but love the most with Jo there, so lucky both of you to share some activities together once a while.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous!

    My Ruby Post, hope you can find time to drop by. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Red seems to be a very comon color for chinese artifacts. I have seen robes like this close up and am always impressed by the fine workmanship, it is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the warrior- he has so much expression despite the simplicity.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful post, Carmen, to see a variety of things. Jo looks beautiful too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a red ruby photo, with angel and poetry in the air.

    Regards

    Valery

    Barcelona Daily Photo

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the red teapot, Carmen! iT must be fun to visit a museum with another blogger.

    I hope you had a very joyful Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Poetic Shutterbug -
    I can't thank you enough for getting me to that museum, Jo. I still have so many pictures to use! Your hair was fine!


    Luckaa -
    About sixteen years ago, I was with my two youngest sons ( then 12 and 10 ) in Taiwan for Thanksgiving. We were able to visit the National Museum which holds all the incredible things Chiang Kai Chek took when he fled China. It was so amazing - the most wonderful art and precious collections.


    Kim, USA -
    I do have more and there was so much I didn't photograph as it was so crowded on their one free day a month.


    Irish -
    I am pleased you enjoyed my post. I'll be doing more on the Asian Art Museum so do come back.


    Stafford Ray -
    How nice to see you here. I haven't been postin daily of late. My doctor doesn't want me sitting for such long hours at the computer and my arthritic shoulders hurt so much if I don't take a little break from typing.


    Betchai -
    Jo is such a wonderful friend. I wish we were able to get out together more often. She is so busy with collectibles business and we both have our separate activities. We try to manage breakfast or lunch or a photographic session about once a month. I so enjoy her company. She really cheers me up in bad times!


    chubskulit -
    Was so busy with doctor's visits, I was remiss in visiting Ruby Tuesday buddies! I am sorry.


    Martha Z -
    I think the royal seamstresses were very talented and, of course, one always reads about the women of the courts and their skills at embroidery.


    Sharkbytes (TM) -
    That warrior appealed to me as well, Joan. Simple but it has a certain charm.


    ~✿~Icy BC -
    As usual, Icy, when Jo and I are together, we seemed to be laughing all the time! She is such fun!


    Irredento Urbanita -
    I am so glad to see you, Valery! I really enjoy those photos from the Asian Art Museum. It was a really special day there!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The Chinese seem to know how to use red to advantage!

    THE SEEKER OF RUBY AND RED

    The seeker of ruby and red
    Will not let green go to her head;
    Instead she will seek
    Her senses to pique
    With cherry and crimson instead.


    © 2011 by Magical Mystical Teacher


    Stunning Red Rocks

    ReplyDelete
  15. Interesting museum... thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the first figure! Chinese art is so interesting

    ReplyDelete