Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Ruby Tuesday - Louhans at the San Francisco Asian Art Museum - April 12, 2011

The eighteen luohans, according to the information plaque at the museum,  were
the disciples of the Buddha Shakyamuni, who told them to stay on earth and
spread the doctrine.  They are revered in China and a special hall for their
worship is set aside in every Buddhist temple.  The luohans are often depicted
with expressive faces. 

These louhans, made of ivory, are from China and were a gift to San Francisco's
Asian Art museum in memory of Lee Herbert Fahnestock.

I  didn't get to photograph all eighteen but I picked the ones with red in their
robes for Ruby Tuesday.

























I am participating in Ruby Tuesday  - check out the site for more great Ruby Tuesday
post and join in the fun!!














11 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:32 AM

    What lovely statues.. they all look so happy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing these!
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  3. What friendly smiling buddhas ! they always look so content and happy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Catching up on your blog posts. Love your pictures in this one.

    Hope all is well on the baby front...did you know we are going to be grandmothers together? I am to be one in September. Hope your health is good at the present time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great shots...very interesting too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They all look quite content, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  7. ladyfi -
    I thought they were really cute, too. The people we did the carving are so talented, aren't they?


    Barbara Rosenzweig -
    I felt rather ashamed - I've gone to museums all over the world and I'd never been to our wonderful Asian Art museum in San Francisco!


    secret aget woman -
    They do have the most delightful expressions on their faces!


    Gattina -
    Sometimes you do see a pretty serious Buddha but these little guys are far more my style!


    Glynis -
    How nice you're becoming a grandmother. I wish I could say the same but Laura miscarried in January. It broke out hearts but they'll try again. Just had a skin cancer removed from the bridge of my nose ( me, who never was a sunbather ) but, other than that, my health seems to be better!


    Jan n Jer -
    Glad you like these little statues. I thought they were very sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I surely would become buddhist if I found any of them on my way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting. Not exactly my cup of tea, but appealing in an odd way.

    ReplyDelete
  10. They are all so jolly and friendly. I would have love to see these in the museum around here.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful, red ones are cute, I am sure the ones in other colors are good too.

    ReplyDelete