Saturday, September 19, 2009

Drought

Drought


Blazing in the heavens,

On the vast earth below,

The sun scorches the land,

And no living thing can grow.


The landscape is so bleak,

Parched and dusty dry,

From the village hovels,

Starving children cry.


The cattle are skeletal,

There is no grain for feed,

On this vast Dark Continent,

There is the greatest need.


Midst drought and famine,

The poor must deal with more,

Dictators and violence,

And never ending war.


How sad that a land,

So rich in many ways,

Suffers horrible devastation,

For so many of its days.


Carmen Henesy


Copyright (c) 2007 by Carmen Henesy
All rights reserved.

2 comments:

  1. You know the liquor of the Far East.
    What you say is right.

    Delicious sake is done here.
    Here is delicious rice, water.
    Rather it is very sweet.

    I am glad that you watched nature of the Far East.

    Thank you.
    ruma

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Japan. There is so much beauty there.
    I haven't spent much time there, just five days in Tokyo a few years ago to see my friend, who was performing for 3 months at the Park Hyatt's NY Bar, but, at that time, I got to meet ten forensic colleagues - doctors and nurses who were hoping to set up services for sexual assault victims in your country. A few months later, four of them came to San Francisco and I took a week off to show them around and to introduce them to all such programs in our area. I was so honored when they, then, invited me back to Japan - all expenses paid - to teach on child forensic interviewing at four sites in Japan! I was in Tokyo, Shiga, Kyoto and Akita. Akita was so lovely. We spent three days there and my dear friends took me to Kakunodate to see a Japanese Sumurai Village and to beautiful Lake Tazawa.
    Also, in Akita, I had some of the most wonderful sake!

    ReplyDelete