Monday, November 23, 2009

Thanksgiving Side Dishes - Gulliver's Cream Corn and Yellow Squash Casserole

Recently, someone posted and wanted suggestions for Thanksgiving side dishes.  These are just two that I serve every year which get rave reviews from guests at my house.

Gulliver's  is a California restaurant, that specializes in hearty cuts of prime rib, served with Yorkshire pudding and their famous creamed corn side dish.  Various recipe sites have reader donated recipes that compare with mine.  It truly is delicious and I always double or triple the recipe for holiday serving.  My three sons always want left overs for the following day.

Gulliver's Cream Corn

Makes 8 Servings

Ingredients

  • 2 ( 16 - 20 ounce) packages frozen corn kernels, thawed ( I like to use a package each of C & W Petite White Corn ( 16 oz ) and C & W Petite Sweet/Golden Corn ( 16 oz )
  • 1 cup whipping cream
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • white or cayenne pepper( I use cayenne and, since we like it spicy, I use a couple of pinches, at least
  • 2 tablespoons flour
  • 2 tablespoons butter, melted

Directions

  1. Place corn kernels, whipping cream, milk, salt, flavor enhancer, sugar, and white or cayenne pepper in a large stockpot. Bring to a slow, low boil beginning on medium heat, stirring frequently. Simmer for 5 minutes on low heat.
  2. Melt butter in the microwave, or in a small saucepan on low heat. Whisk in flour until smooth. Stir into the corn until well blended. 
  3.  
    This is NOT a low calorie recipe but it is delicious!
    Yellow Squash Casserole
     Makes 8 Servings
Ingredients
 
  • 2 lbs. yellow squash
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 1 cup cooked, chopped bacon
  • 1 t, salt
  • 1 c. grated cheddar cheese
  • 1/2 t, pepper
  • 3/4 c. bread crumbs
     Directions
     Clean and slice squash.  Cook in enough water to cover for 20 minutes.  While squash is cooking, fry bacon until done.  Saute bacon drippings and saute  onions until soft but not brown.  Drain onions.   Drain and mash squash and combine with onion, bacon and cheese.   Salt and pepper to taste.  Cover with bread crumbs and bake in 350 degree over for 1/2 hour before serving. 
      I may add a little more onion, bacon and cheese to the recipe, I must  confess.  As though there aren't enough calories already!
     
     

8 comments:

  1. Yummy Yum Yum
    Done and Done!
    I say it's never to early to gain those holiday lbs!
    Bacon and cheese please!
    Thanks for posting these, I'll take photos and post them on my blog.
    Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am printing off these recipe's as I love corn and I love squash...thank you, :-) Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! Thanks for stopping by the Brenda Challenge blog! My Main blog is:
    http://www.donna-madeinheaven.blogspot.com

    I thought everyone could use the break!lolol
    Love your blog and will be back often!! Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!!
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, I could go for both of those.
    Wishing you a Very Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  5. abby jenkins, may you have the most wonderful
    Thanksgiving with an abundance of yummy dishes!

    Bernie, happy cooking and eating and happy
    Thanksgiving!

    Donna, thanks for visiting and letting me know
    about your other blog! It's great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been in such a cooking mood lately. Both recipes sound perfect for special occasions. I'm going to print them out and try them soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love yellow squash, and this is a great recipe to try, thanks Carmen!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey thanks for sharing. I like your writting. Nice blog.

    ReplyDelete