Monday, November 23, 2009

Pumpkin Fudge

I moved to the San Francisco area on January 2, 1976.  It wasn't long until I discovered the lovely coastal community of Half Moon Bay, just to the south.  The area boasts beautiful beaches, incredible seafood restaurants, tide pools, hiking trails and a world renowned Pumpkin Festival which takes place each October.  At my very first such festival, I came across something that is now worn and spattered and a treasure to me:  "The Pumpkin Book."  I have tried, over the years to find another, without success, even by writing to the address inside the cover.  It is an incredible collection of all sorts of pumpkin recipes from savory to sweet, vegetable to dessert.  I have tried so many of them, all wonderful.

One of my favorites - and that of my boys, is the recipe for pumpkin fudge in the book.  It is sinfully good and I only make it at this time of the year - since I could easily eat the whole batch!

I had never seen a recipe for pumpkin fudge before this one.


Pumpkin Fudge


  • 3 cups sugar
  • 1 cup milk
  • 3 tablespoons light corn syrup
  • 1/2 cup pumpkin
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
  • 1-1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1/2 cup chopped nuts ( optional ) 
Combine sugar, milk, corn syrup, pumpkin and salt in a large saucepan ( 3 quart size ), mix
thoroughly.  Bring to a bubbly boil on high heat, stirring continuously.  Reduce heat to medium and continue to boil the mixture, without stirring, until it reaches a temperature of 232 or until a small amount of the mixture forms a soft ball when dropped into cold water.  Remove from heat
and stir in pumpkin pie spice, vanilla, and butter, and nuts.  Let cool until lukewarm ( 110 ).  Beat mixture until it becomes very thick and loses some of its gloss.  Quickly pour into a buttered 8-inch square pan.  When firm, cut into squares.

8 comments:

  1. You're killing me with all of these delicious recipes! Every time I read a recipe, I'm drooling..

    Thanks Carmen for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds so good! Dam, I'm allergic to pumpkin!
    Chocolate is fine-YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Icy, they are all really good recipes, too. But
    that's what this time of year is all about!

    jcollins, ohhhhh, what a sad thing! I would hate
    to be allergic to pumpkin!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds interesting. I love pumpkin pie for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Uh, oh! I know a husband who would like this A LOT!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my, now that is my kind of dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  7. stevie, I love pumpkin pie anytime as well but
    pumpkin pancakes are also good for breakfast...
    or dinner!

    Shark, whip up a batch for him with any leftover
    pumpkin. It is VERY sweet, though.

    Poetic Shutterbug, next time I make it, I'll be
    sure to share it with you...if I can ever
    find you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We're planning a little trip to the US for the first time next year and thinking about places to visit. San Fran has really taken our fancy but your Half Moon bay sounds idyllic!

    We often eat pumpkin fritters with sugar and cinnamon. Not sure about fudge though... I will get my wife to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete