Sunday, November 15, 2009

The Peacock

Today, I am posting the second poem I wrote which has to do with India. India's national bird is the peacock ( Pavo cristatus ). The male of the species is much more elegant than the female, swan-sized, with its royal blue breast and neck and its bronze-green train of more than two hundred feathers. It is an awesome sight when he extends his tail out like a fan as he does in his mating ritual, trying to impress his lady love.
The female peahen, on the other hand,is slightly smaller, and does not have the beautiful train.

The peacock is found in many areas of the Indian subcontinent. Once used for food, it is now protected by the Indian Wildlife (Protection) Act, 1972. Under the law, tail feathers may be collected only when they have been shed.

Peacocks are associated with many religions and spiritual beliefs and are often depicted in paintings representing such. Lord Krishna's crown always has peacock feathers.
Indians credit peacocks with the ability to predict rain. When dark clouds gather overhead, the bird does, indeed, spread its train, fan-like, and begin to do a rhythmic dance.

For more detailed information, please refer to the following links below.

Resources:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_Peafowl
http://www.iloveindia.com/national-symbols/national-bird.html
http://www.iloveindia.com/national-symbols/national-bird.html
http://www.indianchild.com/national_anthem.htm




The Peacock

The national bird of India,
You strut with regal airs,
In terms of utter beauty,
No other one compares!

Your crown of brilliant blue,
Befits your splendid train,
Which you open to its fullest,
With a sense of great disdain.

Shimmering eyes peruse,
From the feathers of your tail,
With your train in full display,
You let out a piercing wail.

The courtship has begun,
You begin to sway and prance,
In hopes of enticing,
A peahen with your dance

Carmen Henesy

Copyright (c) 2007 by Carmen Henesy
All rights reserved. 





17 comments:

  1. I just love peacocks and of course we usually only see them in special places like zoos or stately homes..... though one did find itself in my brother's garden one morning last year. Must have escaped from somewhere.

    Thanks for you little verse & lovely comments over at mine.

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic poem Carmen with a beautiful array of words and colors which perfectly blend with that gorgeous photo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite bird!! We once hatched a Peacock for the 4-H Fair...but it turned out to be a peahen as it developed. Even the judge at the fair thought it was a peacock when it was a few months old.
    I enjoy wearing peacock hair decorations,-Kanzashi, peacock jewelry, etc.
    So I really enjoyed your article and poem which I will save in my file on peacocks. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your way with words is a real gift Carmen. Beautiful poem. I love the shimmer in a peacock's feathers. The colors seem to dance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so beautiful. I have never been to India but I would love to go. My grandson went once but the sights and sounds became too much for him, he had a panic attack and we had to arrange to fly him home!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The peacock has such incredible blend of colours, I love them. The description of the courtship in your poem was an unusual touch. Great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am amazed by your posts and also your poetry - you have such wonderful writing skills. A continuation of the fine communication skills you'll have used in your work in such an incredible and so needed field of Nursing.

    I popped an email over to your yahoo address as per your bloggy profile. Meanwhile tonight dear Zebbycat is purring away loudly to himself - a rescue cat in a very happy zone.

    Sending care and foodie huggles, Michelle, xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such exotic birds! One of my prized possessions in college was three peacock feathers. I wonder whatever happened to them?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous6:30 AM

    WOW you write with such passion , not just your poems,. I love peacocks, they are one of God's miracles.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely beautiful. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Peacocks are lovely with their crowning glory =) Nice to accompany it with your poem

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic poem and picture of the peacock, Carmen!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So pretty Carmen.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice Poem
    like picture

    ReplyDelete
  15. It is wonderful poetry.

    Their beauty is the best in the bird.

    Thank you.
    ruma

    ReplyDelete
  16. I watched 25 Ponte de Abril in Lisbon.
    It is a bridge beautiful very great.

    Thank you for teaching it.

    I watched the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco.
    It is a scale of 4 times of the bridge of the Far East.
    It is a really splendid bridge.

    I did not want to return from San Francisco to my country.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You're welcome.
    Please do not do it in mind at all.
    I thank for your kindness.

    If I go to U.S.A. again, let me join!!

    As for me who lived in the small island with a lot of people, American freedom is admiration.

    ruma

    ReplyDelete