Thursday, November 05, 2009

Blessings

Blessings


Though I mutter about the drizzling rain,
And, as I grab my umbrella, I complain,
For the parched earth below, the glistening drops
Are a blessing.

Work is brutal and the hours long,
And, I wait impatiently for the closing gong,
But every week, when my paycheck comes,
The money is a blessing.

They run shrieking about in whirlwind play,
And seem to ignore what I have to say.
Yet when I hear their prayers at night,
My children are a blessing.

Our country, at times, seems such a mess,
But regardless of this, I must confess,
That to live in the United States, to me,
Truly is a blessing.

I'm growing older, that's for sure,
And, try as they might, there's no cancer cure,
But I woke up this morning,
And that I regard as a blessing.

Carmen Henesy

Copyright (c) 2009 by Carmen Henesy
All rights reserved.

7 comments:

  1. Beautiful poem, Carmen! There are so many little blessings that we some time can't see if we don't pay enough attention.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:34 AM

    what a great poem to wake up with, I agree, we can all be in a mess at times. but SIGH!! to wake up each day is a blessings..

    Blessings continued.. :}

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...and I fall asleep counting my blessings. Almost time to pop in "White Christmas"!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Icy - Inky - Willow,
    Glad you liked my poem. You three have become
    blessings in my life. I enjoy your blogs so
    much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It must be Thanksgiving! Carmen, these are beautiful sentiments to put on paper and stick on the refrigerator, or inside a wallet. Being thankful and appreciative helps us cope and appreciate what we have.

    You are inspiring us to be poets!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carmen, what a nice poem and a beautiful way to express your gratitude....:-) Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  7. We receive different kind of blessing in our everyday lives, we may not see it in bigger scale but we're abundantly blessed.

    ReplyDelete