Saturday, August 24, 2013

Camera Critters #281 - Jaipur Cows


I just recently returned to Jaipur for five days - the lovely Pink City in Rajasthan 
where I lived for five months last year.  As always, I was amazed at all the
cows wandering about, seemingly owned by no one ( though I'm sure they 
must have a home somewhere! ).  

In India, by many, especially of the Hindu religion, cows are considered sacred
animals, "God's useful gift to mankind."  They walk wherever they wish, in busy
crowded streets and seem unafraid.  Horns do not blow at them and cars slow
and wait for them to cross streets.  It is not unusual to see them lying in the 
street or standing up on medians.

People often bring them food to eat as they forage about in search of a meal.

http://hinduism.about.com/od/vegetarianism/a/holycows.htm

http://www.religionfacts.com/hinduism/things/cow.htm










I am participating in 


Add your critter photo to join in the fun!







11 comments:

  1. The cows are so cool. I love these shots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are pretty neat, Jo. What distresses me, though, is to see these cows going through garbage and consuming plastic bags in their efforts to reach the contents!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Are there cows roaming freely in your parts of India, Rajesh. I rarely see them in Mumbai.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Greetings, my dear friend. I always love seeing you on my blog. Muah.

      Delete
  4. Great shots, Carmen! It's a bit strange to see them all over the street like that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is funny, specially during rush-hour traffic. There can be dozens of them in the road.

      Delete
  5. I wonder who feeds them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, they often consume garbage on the street, and plastic bags along with it. Often,caring Indians will drop off greens & other things for them to eat. Some of them look very well fed while others are pretty skinny.

      Delete
  6. I don't get this whole sacred cow thing.

    ReplyDelete